Writing Help and Info
The Art of Story Telling and
Marketing What you Write
Not all talented authors find a publisher.
There are several reasons for this:
- Your subject matter doesn't fit the publisher's "list".
- Let's face it, you might not be good enough compared to the competition.
- The publisher's list is full for the year.
- The publisher's acquisition editor who read your submission doesn't like your subject matter or style (in which case, go out and find a publisher who does).
- The publisher requires an agent and you don't have one, or at least you don't have one they trust.
- Your subject is not one on which they care to take a risk. It's not "comfortable" for the editors because it's groundbreaking or odd. Paper book publishing costs are high.
- One of a dozen other reasons which have nothing to do with the worthiness of your book, novel, or pamphlet.
Of course, there is the possibility that you're a lousy writer, in spite of what your mother says. If that's the case, join a writing workshop and let them whip you into shape. In fact, if you're a good writer, you should still join a workshop to get even better (and to help others improve). There's no substitute for another pair of eyes to catch problems you're blind to. Our best writers come from peer to peer workshops (as opposed to "guru" type workshops).
If you're really a good writer, by all means, keep trying, and please consider AKW Books as a publisher for your project.
We contract exclusive electronic rights for a relatively short period of time, then revert to a non-exclusive relationship. You still own the other publication, movie, etc. rights including traditional paper-based rights.
*Theme deadlines are for mss that have been accepted, negotiated, and edited - ready for conversion. For instance, Christmas books start selling in earnest in November, so your clean ms should be in our hands in september.
Author Information for eBook Publishing with AKW Books
If you have a top-quality finished manuscript and want to be published in eBook format by a legitimate publisher, here is how to go about it.
- AKW Books is an eBook publisher.
- We have the same high standards found in the big NY houses.
- We're open to new writers -- if you measure up.
- You don't need an agent to be noticed.
- We don't charge you anything, but you do have to provide the cover art.
- Your manuscript will be professionally edited if accepted.
- You're paid excellent royalties (usually 50% of what we receive)
- Your eBook may never go "out of print".
- You retain your non-digital rights.
- Your digital rights are only tied up for 6 months.
- Don't tell us to go to your website to see something. We'll just delete your query without replying.
- Don't bring something that's being given away free, even if it's just to your "intimate" circle of 50 friends (except writing workshops).
- If your book will attract lawsuits, we're not interested. Lawyers are expensive.
- If your book's main thrust is graphic sex (pornography or erotica), please take it elsewhere. Sex is a "part" of many stories and that's fine, but if sex is the "focus" of the work, it's not suitable for our imprint.
- No marketing scams please or anything that smells like one.
Miscellaneous Information for Authors and Writers
AKW Books looks for manuscripts in these categories:
-Action & Adventure
-Mystery and Thrillers
-Arts & Photography
-Biography/Memoirs with a good sales "hook"
-Computer & Internet
-Cooking, Food, Wine
-Crafts & Hobbies
-Health, Mind, Body
-Home & Garden
-Outdoors & Nature
-Parenting & Family
-Puzzles & Games
If you don't see a category that fits your manuscript, please ask us about adding one.
Please, no get rich or self-help (motivational) books.
We do not publish Porn or Erotica
Why choose an eBook publisher?
Young people and many adults are beginning to ask for electronic books, pamphlets, and novels they can keep in their desktop, laptop, and handheld electronic devices. They want the convenience of eBooks as well as the cost savings.
Readers can carry a thousand books around in a lightweight device about the size of a mass market paperback book.
The cost of hardware has come down and eBook sales are taking off. Amazon reports more sales for their Kindle reader than paper books.
What are the advantages for authors?
Publishing an eBook is often easier than approaching a large New York publisher. AKW Books looks for fresh new talent.
If you already have a publisher of traditional books, an AKW eBook can enlarge your market.
And your 50% royalty will look much nicer in your pocket than the trifle traditional publishers pay.
Who are we?